Child Protection at Nanjing International School
Nanjing International School prioritizes Child Protection
|Laurie McLellan - Director|
|Ruth Clarke – Child Protection Officer|
Nanjing International School, in keeping with the NIS mission, is committed to Child Protection. As such, procedures have been developed to guide our staff and families in matters related to the health, safety and care of children in attendance at our school. It is with the support of our School Board that I send a letter to parents at the beginning of each school year, reminding our community about this critical issue. The NIS Child Protection procedures, linked, are based on the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, of which China is a signatory.
We want to draw your attention to two key articles:
Article 19 - Protection from abuse and neglect. “…protect the child from all forms of physical or mental violence, injury or abuse, neglect or negligent treatment, maltreatment or exploitation, including sexual abuse, while in the care of parent(s), legal guardian(s), or any other person who has care of the child.
Article 34 - Sexual exploitation. “…shall undertake to protect children from sexual exploitation and sexual abuse.”
By enrolling your child at NIS, you agree to work in partnership with the school and abide by the procedures adopted by NIS. We genuinely value our partnership with you in providing for the safety and care of your children. As part of our overall educational programs and specific to our shared responsibility to educate children, to protect them, and to learn and grow in a safe environment.
NIS approaches Child Protection in the following ways:
- Police checks of all employees, contractors, and volunteers
- Code of Conduct signed by all employees, contractors, and volunteers
- Guide faculty to recognise and report issues of abuse and neglect
- Age-appropriate education in regards to child protection
- NIS community members to wear their NIS identification cards
- All visitors to sign-in and display the visitor badge, and abide by the Visitor's Code Conduct.
- All adults to use Adult only toilets
- Report Form
- Put in place a Child Protection Officer, Child Protection Team and a Child Response Team
I thank you for your support of our efforts and invite you to contact the Child Protection Officer, your school Counselor, the relevant Head of School, or myself with any questions you may have.